Chicken shawarma recipe is a combination of tender, juicy grilled chicken and some other ingredients. For making chicken shawarma we grilled the chicken on a spit. Now, this is a very popular fast food dish is everywhere in this world, and you can see shawarma is served in every restaurant or any street food shop.
What Is Chicken Shawarma?
Basically, shawarma belongs to a middle eastern fast food dish. This chicken shawarma consists of thin slices of grilled tender, juicy chicken pieces. There are two options one is, we can bake the chicken for chicken shawarma and the other is we prepared it in the pan.
According to my knowledge, this is one of the most favorite and popular fast foods that are available in local streets. Originally, this shawarma made with lamb meat, but you can choose chicken, beef, turkey as your own preference.
How You Can Make Chicken Shawarma Recipe At Home?
The homemade chicken shawarma is very juicy and flavorful. This is not the same as you can eat in any big restaurant, but believe me, this is amazing. Usually, in restaurants, they use spits for roasting the chicken. But if you have no spit at home you can simply use an oven or pan for this purpose. All the steps are given below, don’t worry.
Serving Options Along With Juicy chicken Shawarma.
I love to eat this chicken shawarma, in which we use oven-baked chicken, carrot, beet pickle, and garlic sauce, and all these things are properly wrapped in pita bread. And I loved to serve as it is to any of my friends, family members, or someone special.
It is also great to serve this chicken shawarma along with rice dishes that you like. You can simply serve this chicken shawarma as a chicken shawarma salad.
Can We Use Frozen Chicken For This Chicken Shawarma Recipe?
Of course, you can use frozen chicken for this recipe. There are both options, if you have fresh chicken then you can use this fresh chicken. But if you have already chicken in your freezer then no problem, you can also use this. But keep one thing in mind, just defrosted properly before marinating the chicken.
Best Fast Food For Best Gatherings.
This fast food is the very best option for friends gatherings, or family, or for your dining table. Honestly speaking, I am a huge fan of fast food dishes and I feel happy to make this for my friends or any get-together.
Some Tips For Making Perfect Juicy Chicken Shawarma Recipe:
- It is recommended, at least marinate the chicken for about 1 hour before cooking it. This will help them to add more flavor and your shawarma will be juicier.
- Don’t overcook the chicken, as it decreases the flavor and taste of shawarma.
- if you’re using both breast and thigh, make sure to cook them separately, as the thigh takes longer to cook than the breast.
Prepare time: 8-10 min Marination Time: 1 hr Cook: 15 min
Ready in 25-30 min
How To Make Pita Bread At Home:
Ingredients For Making Pita Bread:
- 1.5 tsp active dry yeast.
- 2 tsp sugar.
- 1 cup water(slightly warm).
- 1.5 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- 375 grams of refined flour(maida).
Directions For Pita Bread:
- First of all, take a bowl, add sugar and warm water, mix properly until sugar completely dissolved in water.
- Make sure water is not hot, and once the sugar dissolves properly then add active yeast and mix properly.
- After that take a sieve and add salt, flour, and baking powder and shift them into water and yeast mixture.
- Make sure to mix them properly until all the ingredients combined properly and the mixture changed into a sticky dough.
- Now we transfer this sticky dough over a platform.
- Don’t forget to dust the platform with dry refined flour.
- After that knead properly until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Now take a bowl and grease it with oil and transfer the knead dough in this oily bowl.
- After shifting, now cover this bowl with a damp cloth and keep it in a warm place for an hour to prove(i mean this will increase dough size).
- You can make other components of shawarma by the time the dough proves properly.
- Now when the dough proves completely, we divide the dough into 7-10 equal size dough balls.
- After making equal size balls, now we start to tuck inwards to make a smooth round ball for perfect results.
- Now cover these all equal size dough balls with a damp cloth and keep them aside for 10-15 minutes.
- When second resting complete, take a dough ball and coat it with dry flour, and flatten it with your hands and if you didn’t feel comfortable with your hands you can use a rolling pin to roll the ball into a thin chapati.
- You can use some flour if required.
- After completing the dough ball process, now we set Tawa on heat and cook the chapati/pita bread over a hot Tawa on both sides until golden spots appear on the chapati.
- Use a napkin and press the chapati gently to fluff up the bread while cooking, that’s looking more interesting while cooking.
- Cook all the pita bread in the above same way, and keep them aside until we use it for making shawarma.
- This is optional, you can alter the size of your bread according to you.
Ingredients For Making Garlic Toum:
- 1/4th cup garlic.
- 4 nos ice cubes.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- 1.5 cups canola/sunflower oil.
- Salt to taste.
Directions For Garlic Toum:
- Firstly, take a blender and add lemon juice, salt, ice cubes, and peeled garlic cloves in this blender.
- Add oil gradually in the single stream at the same time.
- Now blend until all the ingredients are well incorporated and it becomes thick like spread.
Ingredients For Garlic Curd Dip(2nd Option):
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise.
- 1 tsp lemon juice.
- 1 cup curd(thoroughly whisked).
- 1/2 tsp powdered sugar.
- 2 garlic cloves.
- Pinch of black pepper and salt powder.
- First of all, take a bowl and add curd, mayonnaise, salt, sugar, pepper, and grate 2 garlic cloves in the bowl.
- Mix it properly with a spoon.
- Your garlic curd dip is ready.
Ingredients For Pickle:
- 1/3rd cup carrots.
- 3 tbsp green chilies.
- 1 cup vinegar.
- 5 tbsp sugar.
- 1/3rd cup beetroot(batons).
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1/2 cup water.
- Firstly add water to the stockpot and set it on the heat for boiling, and add carrots, green chilies, beetroots, and salt.
- Blanch the veggies while keeping them a little crunchy.
- Now take another stockpot and add 1/2 cup of water, sugar, salt, and vinegar, mix properly and cook until the sugar dissolves properly, and the brine is warm.
- Cooldown the brine solution and add the blanched veggies to it.
- Now we transfer it in a well-sterilized glass jar.
- Finally, keep it refrigerated and use it whenever you want.
Ingredients For Making Chicken For Shawarma:
- 1 kg boneless chicken(breast and thigh).
- 2 tbsp oil.
- 2 tbsp garlic paste.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- 2 tsp red chili powder.
- 1 tbsp cumin powder.
- 1 tbsp coriander powder.
- 4 tbsp curd.
- Pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Pinch of cardamom powder.
- 1 tsp black pepper powder.
- salt to taste.
- Oil for grilling.
Directions For Making Chicken For Shawarma:
- The very first step is to wash boneless chicken properly.
- Now if you are preferring chicken breast for chicken shawarma, then make sure to slice the breast thinly in two or three sections.
- Further, you can flatten it with the back of the knife.
- But if you are using thigh for this chicken shawarma recipe then just flatten them with the back of a knife, no need for slices.
- Now sprinkle salt and apply it on the chicken, and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- After that take a mixing bowl and add all remaining marinade ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Now whisk properly to ensure no lumps.
- Further, we add the salt applied chicken and mix properly, marinade the chicken for a couple of hours.
- This is optional, if you want more taste and more juicy flavor in your chicken, then marinade it around 24 hours for juicy flavor.
- Once the chicken is marinated properly, set a pan on high heat.
- Now add oil and cook the marinated chicken on both sides until cooked and tender.
- Make sure your pan is hot.
- Once cooked chicken rest for 2-3 minutes and slice the chicken into thin strips.
- There is another option, and that is you can bake them in the oven, as shawarma vendors do on shawarma rolling machine.
- You just take a big size of a potato and trim the base of potato to make like stand, and just insert a skewer in the potato and then skew the marinated chicken in the skew.
- Make sure your oven is preheated at 230 for 10-15 minutes and bake the chicken in this preheated oven.
- When chicken is baked properly and chicken is cooked and tender, simply slice in thin strips like the shawarma vendors do keep aside to make shawarma.
Ingredients For Assembling The Chicken Shawarma:
- Pita bread that we made at the starting of the chicken shawarma recipe.
- Garlic tom/ garlic curd dip.
- Fried Potatoes.
- Cooked shredded chicken.
- Lettuce leaves.
- Pickled carrots & beets.
- Sriracha/hot sauce.
Directions For Assembling Chicken Shawarma Recipe:
- Slightly heat the pita bread on direct flame before assembling.
- Now our pita bread is warm, we spread garlic tom on pita bread evenly.
- After spreading the garlic tom, now we place the lettuce leaves, our juicy, grilled and shredded chicken, pickled beets and carrots, fries, and some sriracha sauce.
- Finally, roll the pita bread and out juicy and spicy chicken shawarma good to go.
Closing Notes For Chicken Shawarma Recipe:
I know there are lots of hard work while making this chicken shawarma recipe, but the final results are very amazing. Now what I want, if you make this chicken shawarma recipe at home and fall in love with the taste of this shawarma same as I fell. Then kindly put your experience in the comment section. Because I love to see your feelings in my comments section.