Chicken boneless handi recipe dish is one of the most popular and famous curries in Pakistan and India. It is very creamy and juicy as well as very flavorful and delicious.This chicken handi just a perfect meal for your weekend dinner plan or just for surprising your guests.
Why Chicken Handi Is My Favorite?
Honestly speaking I want to eat this chicken boneless handi recipe in my whole life, oh wow just amazing. Chicken Handi Recipe dish is a very traditional restaurant style chicken handi recipe that is made in a special vessel called a handi.
Handi is a kind of cooking pan that was used in Indian or Pakistani cooking with a shallow depth and a wide bottom in the olden days which was made of clay.
However these days it is not so common to cook in such pots or to even find it. So don’t worry, if you don’t have handi then you can make this tempting dish in the karahi that you have at home or you can use standard pot for making this chicken curry.
What Is Chicken Handi?
Actually, handi means clay pot. Traditionally, this chicken handi curry is made in a terracotta pot which shifts its unique flavor to a chicken handi dish.
The good thing is about chicken handi, which is milder than south Asian curries, but always rich in flavor. In this process, we cooked chicken in a creamy base of fresh cream and yogurt.
In most Indian and Pakistani restaurants, majorly boneless chicken used for this chicken handi curry. But if you want bone-in chicken then you can also use that one.
Can We Make Chicken Handi Without Cream?
Yes, you can make chicken handi without cream. If you are not a huge fan of cream and don’t want to add it to your gravy dish. Just skip the black pepper and green chilies option and make your chicken handi recipe without cream.
Can We Store Chicken Handi?
Yes, you can store your chicken handi curry in the fridge. Just add your chicken curry to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge and this lasts up to a week.
Difference Between Chicken Karahi And Chicken Handi:
Now there is not a very big difference between them. Like In chicken karahi, we use tomato-based masala and it is traditionally prepared in karahi mean (wok).
whereas in chicken handi we use tomatoes, yogurt, cream, for the smooth, rich base. And chicken handi traditionally prepared in a handi(clay pot). The other difference is, chicken karahi is more spicer than chicken handi.
Prepare time: 30 min Cook: 45 min Resting Time: 10 min Ready in 1 hr 5 min
Ingredients For Chicken Boneless Handi Recipe:
- 500 grams – Boneless chicken – Cut into cubes.
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste.
- 1 big (100 gms) – Finely chopped onions.
- 4 small (200 gms) – Chopped tomatoes.
- 3 nos – Green chilies cut into big pieces.
- 1 tbsp – Ginger juilenned.
- 3 tbsp – Chopped coriander for garnish.
- 1 tsp – Salt.
Some Other Ingredients:
- 3/4 tsp – Cumin seeds.
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric Powder.
- 1 tsp – Red Chilli Powder.
- 1 tsp – Coriander Powder.
- 1/2 tsp – Garam Masala Powder.
- 1/4 tsp – Crushed Black Pepper.
- 1 tsp – Dry Fenugreek Leaves, dry roasted & powdered.
- 2 tbsp – Whisked Curd or Yogurt.
- 4 tbsp – Fresh Cream.
- 4 tbsp – Oil.
Preparation Process For Chicken Handi Recipe:
- First of all wash and clean chicken fillets properly and pat dry.
- After drying, cut chicken fillets into one-inch cubes.
- Now chop the tomatoes, onions, and coriander leaves julienned the ginger, and cut 3 green chilies into small pieces.
- After chopped everything nicely, now dry roast and powder the Kasuri methi(Dry Fenugreek leaves), keep them aside.
Directions For Chicken Boneless Handi Recipe:
- The very first step is to take a flat pan and heat 2 tbsp oil in that pan.
- After heating the oil, now we add ginger garlic paste.
- Make sure to fry on low heat for 1-2 minutes and add chicken cubes along with 1 tbsp salt.
- Mix and fry them on high to medium flame for about 3-4 minutes.
- After time complete, just take it out and keep it aside for further use.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil again in the same pan and now we add hopped onions in this pan.
- Fry them on a medium flame for about 5-6 minutes till onions turn into light brown color.
- After that now we add 1/2 tsp salt, chopped tomatoes, and cook them on a medium flame for about 3-4 minutes till soft.
- Now we add red chili, turmeric powder, and coriander powders, mix all of them properly, and add a splash of water.
- Continue to cook for around 3 minutes on medium to low flame till oil separates properly.
- Now we add fried chicken cubes and fry them on a medium flame for about 5 minutes, till water dries up and oil separates properly.
- Switch off the heat and add the whisked yogurt/curd, mix them properly, and cook on low flame for around 2 minutes till oil separates properly.
- Now we add 50 ml water, mix properly, and cook covered on low flame for 10 minutes till the chicken is tender and oil separates properly.
- After that, we add crushed black pepper, roasted & powdered Kasuri Methi, garam masala powder.
- Mix all things properly and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now we add ginger juliennes and green chili pieces, give a nice mix, and then add fresh cream.
- Here you can add a few tbsp of water if required.
- Again give a nice mix and simmer for 2-3 minutes till oil separates properly.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and ready to serve.
After taking it out in a serving dish now you can garnish it with coriander leaves and also add lemons wedges or green chili to make it extra good looking and more delicious and served with naan, paratha, or roti whatever you prefer.