Manakeesh Recipe – How To Make Mnakish!!
Manakeesh recipe is super simple to make. And of course, in this article you will completely learn step by step how to make a delicious Lebanese manakeesh recipe from scratch, manakeesh actually like a Lebanese pizza.
Manakeesh is also known by some different names like manaqish, manakish, manoushe, or manakeesh. This manakeesh recipe is popular in middle eastern countries including Lebanon.
Manakeesh is a type of Arabic Bread, which is topped with a special blend of spices called Za’atar. Za’atar contains a wonderful blend of various herbs and spices including oregano, thyme, sumac, and sesame seeds.
There are different kinds of manakeesh out there, but the most popular ones are topped with za’atar or cheese. Manakeesh is absolutely a delicious and yummy dish with the flavor of the za’atar spice mix.
Manakeesh/Manakish(Manoushe) is not heavy like pizza and this manakeesh served as a side dish or as a starter. This most popular Za’atar Manakeesh/Manakish is absolutely delicious and an explosion of exotic Middle Eastern flavors.
Ingredients For Making Manakeesh Recipe:
- Sugar -1tbs.
- Yeast – 7g(1 sachet).
- Salt to taste.
- All-purpose flour – 3 cups.
- Warm water – 1 cup.
- Olive oil – 2tbs.
Ingredients For Manakeesh toppings:
- Olive oil.
- Nigella seeds
- Mozzarella Cheese.
Optional garnishing for the Manakish:
- Pines Nuts.
Directions For Making Manakeesh Recipe:
- First of all, take a small bowl and add 1 sachet of yeast, 1tbs sugar, and 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir nicely and keep it aside for around 10 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl add 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 2tbs olive oil, and salt to taste and stir well and add the yeast mixture.
- After adding yeast mixture, stir well and knead into a dough and you can add extra flour or water if needed.
- Now take a bowl and grease it with oil and put it into a greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth and leave for about 1 hour, until it has doubled in size.
- Take it out from the bowl and knead briefly again and form it into 6 equal small balls.
- Cover them again and leave them for a while to rise.
- Now, using a floured surface and floured rolling pin and roll out a ball into medium-sized flatbread.
- Slightly cook the base of flatbread for 1-2 minutes on the pan.
- In a small bowl add 1/2 cup of za’atar and enough olive oil to make a separable mixture, mix well.
For Za’atar Manakeesh:
- Spread the Za’atar mixture on flatbread equally, make sure it covers all the sides, and bake in the oven at 250c for 7-8 minutes.
For Mozarella Cheese and Za’atar Manakeesh:
- For making mozzarella and za’atar manakeesh, spread the mozzarella cheese on half bread and on half bread spread the za’atar mixture and again bake in the oven on 250C for 7-8 minutes.
Fo Mozarella Cheese Manakeesh:
- Spread the mozzarella cheese equally on all the sides of flatbread and also sprinkle the za’atar powder, also sprinkle nigella seeds and bake it in the oven for around 7-8 minutes.
- After 7-8 minutes removed this baked manakeesh from the oven and cover them with a plastic bag or a towel to keep them soft and hot until serving.
You can serve this manakeesh along with fresh vegetables like mint, cucumber, olives, and tomato.
So, we make three kinds of manakeesh here and now you can either enjoy a Za’atar Manakeesh, a cheese Manakish, or even a combination of both Za’atar and Cheese on a Manaeesh!
- You can make 6 medium-sized manakeesh and adjust the toppings as your own preferences because some people using more and some using less.
- Akawi cheese is used in place of mozzarella cheese in the manakeesh recipe, as a tradition but mozzarella cheese also works good and tastes so good.
- You can also make mixed manakeesh by using cheese and za’atar, this is also good in taste.
- Place manakeesh in between parchment paper and in an airtight bag or container and freeze them, but remember only freeze the manakeesh once they are cooled.
What Is meant By Monoushe?
Basically, Manoushe is the singular word using for manakeesh and it’s a Lebanese pizza topped with different kinds of toppings, like the most common toppings are cheese and za’atar.
What other toppings can I use for Manakeesh?
You can use other toppings like labneh(soft yogurt cheese) along with za’atar, or cheese along with sausage, you can also use a mixture of cheese and za’atar as a topping.
Can We Store or Freeze Manakeesh/Manakish?
Yes, of course, you can store manakeesh in an airtight bag or container in the fridge, and just warm this manakeesh in the oven just before serving.
You can also place this manakeesh in between parchment paper and place them in an airtight bag or container and place them in the freezer and you can store them for up to 3 months in the freezer and just thaw them in the oven just before serving again and enjoy manakeesh.
Tried This Recipe:
If you tried this manakeesh/manakish recipe, then please consider leaving a 5star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the comments section – I’d love to hear from you! You can also hop on over to @cookingwithguru. and say hello ASAP!!
This really is a super easy Manakish Recipe and we hope you definitely give it a try! So which one is your favorite Manakeesh topping? tell me in the comment section, Manakeesh with Za’atar, Manakish with Cheese, or a combination of both?
Here Are Some Moe Options: