Lamb Vindaloo Recipe- Spicy Lamb Curry Recipe!!
Lamb vindaloo recipe – or mutton/beef vindaloo recipe is a fantastic savory and spicy dish of tender lamb bites. This lamb vindaloo recipe dish is the perfect one for the dinner table in the main course menu. These lamb vindaloo bites are full of flavor from bold spices.
Now, this authentic lamb vindaloo recipe is tangy, spicy, all in one package serve along with diner rolls or along with steamed rice.
How Do You Make Lamb Vindaloo Recipe?
First of all, this is not a too difficult recipe, this lamb vindaloo recipe just requires a few steps. Just stick with me there, I will show you all the steps.
In the lamb vindaloo recipe, there is not too much technique to make this recipe. All the steps are very easy to follow and also super simple. So, don’t worry and start to make a vindaloo dish right now. Believe me, your final results are outstanding and really worth it.
Some Special Things About Lamb Vindaloo Recipe Is:
This lamb vindaloo recipe is full of flavor and very spicy. Also, this lamb vindaloo recipe is saucy, super savory, tender, gluten-free, dairy-free, and also low carb recipe.
Brief History Of Vindaloo:
Okay, foodies, you might be thinking about what is meant by vindaloo? Don’t worry I will explain everything about vindaloo. But, if you have any doubt about vindaloo after reading this paragraph.
Well, basically vindaloo means “meat in wine, vinegar, and garlic” and basically this is a Portuguese recipe. And now this vindaloo recipe is a popular traditional Goan recipe out there.
The dish name goes as “Carne de vinha a’alhos” in Portuguese, where meat is marinated usually pork was marinated in garlic and wine.
Now, in the Indian-anglo version, we marinate meat in chilies, ginger-garlic, vinegar, and sugar followed by other spices.
People also prefer to add potatoes in some vindaloo recipes. Now, this because vindaloo has “aloo” into it. And in India also means potatoes. Aloo=potatoes.
If you see, in authentic vindaloo recipe there are no potatoes used. But, if you want to add some potatoes. Then you can add some potatoes to feel the taste of potatoes in the vindaloo recipe.
There is no use of tomatoes and it’s paste in authentic/original vindaloo recipe. So, in this specific recipe, I will not add tomatoes and their paste and I recommend do not use them here.
In nowadays, you can find many different variations of this vindaloo recipe. These variations go with lamb, mutton, beef, prawns, chicken. And you can use it according to your own choice. But, traditionally, the Goan vindaloo recipe is made with pork actually.
You can replace chicken or lamb in place of pork if you don’t like to eat pork. As I am a Muslim and pork is haram in our religion. So, I use lamb in this recipe.
Basically, in this curry borders use wine, but in goa, people mostly use feni along with spices and toddy vinegar.
Now, if toddy vinegar is not available, then cider or malt vinegar. This vinegar also works fine in this vindaloo recipe.
Serving Options For Lamb Vindaloo Recipe:
Serve this tangy, flavorful, spicy Goan vindaloo recipe along with jeera(cumin) rice, steamed rice. You can use any kind of variation that you like. This recipe totally works fine.
You can also serve this lamb vindaloo recipe along with Pav(bun), warm naan bread, crusty bread. Totally depends on you.
Personally, I use naans and parathas to eat this spicy lamb vindaloo curry. You can also add this in the serving option.
Some Extra Tips For Making Perfect Lamb Vindaloo Curry Recipe:
Here are some tips, and if you follow these tips. You can make your lamb vindaloo more flavorful and spicy.
- In this recipe use tender lamb shoulders instead of using chops.
- Marinate the lamb meat overnight to get the best traditional Goan flavor.
- At least marinate your lamb meat for around 2 hours, if you have the crunch of time.
- Follow all the steps and enjoy the homemade lamb vindaloo recipe at your dining table.
Is Lamb Vindaloo Recipe Is Dairy And Gluten-Free?
Yes, of course, this gluten and dairy-free recipe. Because in this recipe we will not use any kind of flour that contains gluten. And also we will not use any dairy product in this recipe.
Prepare time: 10-12 min Cook: 1 hr Marination Time: 2 hr Ready in 1 hr 10 min
Ingredients For Making Lamb Vindaloo Recipe:
- 1 cup – Chopped onions.
- 1 cup – Hot water.
- Lamb/Mutton – 1 kg.
- 1 tsp – Sugar.
- 2 tsp – Salt.
- 4 tbsp – Oil.
Ingredients For Making The Paste:
- 8 nos – Dried red chili.
- 1 cup – Roughly cut onions.
- 10 nos – Kashmiri dried red chili.
- 1 tbsp – Peppercorn.
- 10 nos – Cloves.
- 1 tbsp – Coriander seeds.
- 2-inch piece – Cinnamon.
- 2 tsp – Cumin seeds.
- 15 cloves – Garlic.
- 3 tbsp – Vinegar.
- 1-inch piece – Roughly cut ginger piece.
Directions For Making Lamb Vindaloo Recipe:
- The very first step is to take a pan and add 2 tbsp oil to this pan.
- Now, add all the ingredients that are mentioned above for making the paste, except the vinegar.
- Mix all these ingredients properly and cooks until it is fragrant.
- Once the ingredients in the pan cool down a little, add them to a mixer jar.
- Add the mentioned amount of vinegar to a mixer jar and grind to a paste.
- Now, with the help of this paste. Weare going to marinate our Mutton/Lamb with this paste and keep the marinated meat aside for around 2 hours.
- One tip, but it is optional. If you keep this meat overnight for marination, it tastes better and flavorful, and also juicy.
- Now, In a pan add 4 tbsp of oil and add the chopped onions and saute until onions turn into brown color.
- Add marinated lamb/mutton in a pan and cook for around 5 minutes., make sure stir occasionally.
- Now add 2 tsp of sugar and salt.
- Add water and bring it to a boil.
- Now, cover the pan and simmer on medium-low flame for around 45 minutes, or until the lamb/mutton is cooked properly and tender nicely.
- Make sure to stir occasionally to make sure the meat is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Finally, our delicious, spicy lamb vindaloo is ready to serve.
Because your comments really motivate me to bring some more delicious recipes for you.Thanks.