Classic devil’s food cake recipe is a moist, fluffy, light chocolate cake that will surprise any chocolate lover. You can learn step by step, how to make the ultimate classic devil’s food cake recipe.
Ingredients we use in this recipe enough for making a 2-layer, 8-inch chocolate classic devil’s food cake.
Why This Chocolate Devil’s Food Is So Amazing?
Well, due to the creamy, fluffy, and chocolaty texture of this devil’s cake. I will love this.
Honestly, I am a huge lover of cakes. I don’t care how much sugar or how many calories a cake contains. I just eat and eat again.
Some Tips For Making Perfect Classic Devil’s Food Cake Recipe:
- Always making classic devil’s food cake, use room temperature ingredients.
- Why we use room temperature ingredients?
- well, room temperature ingredients are blended easier, and when we bake the cake these ingredients rise higher.
- Make sure, to remove lumps, always sift the cocoa powder.
- If you want to keep your chocolate devil’s food cake fresh after slicing. Then just take a plastic wrap and cover the exposed cake with this plastic wrap before placing the cake under a cake dome.
- If you want, your cake does not stick with the pan. Then just use shortening in place of butter.
- Now, there is a reason for using shortening, because shortening does not contain water and due to water our cake stick with pan.
- So, that’s why we use this.
What Is The Difference Between Devil’s Food Cake And Chocolate Cake?
Classic chocolate devil’s food cake is different from simple chocolate cake. Because chocolate devil’s food cake is very fluffier, richer, and darker than any simple chocolate.
Basically, classic chocolate devil’s food cake is a variety of chocolate cake and we use cocoa powder in this case instead of using melted chocolate. And obviously, you can see melted chocolate in any simple chocolate cake.
How To Store Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake?
You can store this classic devil’s food cake for up to three days and the storing process is very simple. Take an airtight container and store it before frosting in this air-tight container.
When you want to serve this devil’s food cake, just take it out from your fridge 30 minutes before serving.
Can We Freeze Classic Devil’s Food Cake?
Yes, of course, you can freeze this chocolate devil’s food cake. Juts take plastic wrap and wrapped your chocolate devil’s food cake properly in this plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
Prepare time: 18-20 min Cook: 28-30 Ready in 50-52 min
Ingredients For Making Devil’s Food Cake:
- Cake and pastry flour – 1 1/2 cup (195 grams).
- Superfine(quick dissolve) sugar – 1 1/3 cup (295 grams).
- Dutch-process cocoa powder – 1/2 cup (60 gram).
- Baking soda 3/4 tsp ( 4 gram).
- Hot strong brewed coffee 1/2 cup (125 ml).
- Salt 1/4 tsp (2 gram).
- Milk 1/2 cup (125 ml).
- Unsalted butter, cool, cut into pieces 1/2 cup (115 gram).
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml).
- Large eggs – 2, at room temperature.
Ingredients for the Fudge Frosting:
- Semisweet chocolate, chopped 340 gram (12 oz).
- Sour Cream – 1/2 cup (125 ml).
- 1 3/4 cup whipping cream.
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp.
- Pinch of salt.
Directions For Baking The Devil’s Food Cake Recipe:
- First of all, preheat your oven at 180º C (350º F).
- Now take two 8-inch cake pans and grease them, and line the bottoms with parchment.
- Dust your cake pan sides with flour properly, and tapping out any excess amount of flour.
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Now, shift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl or you can add these ingredients into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the butter cutting in (if in a large bowl, use electric beaters) until you see the mixture is a fine crumble shape (same as the texture of the fine breadcrumbs) and you see there are no large pieces of butter are visible.
- Now stir the milk, hot coffee, and vanilla together and add it all at once to the flour mixture.
- After adding all these things, now blend them until they turn into a smooth smooth shapes.
- Take a small dish and break the eggs and stir them with a fork and then add the egg mixture into the batter.
- After adding eggs, blend the mixture again on medium speed just until smooth ( and your batter will be very fluid).
- Now divide the batter evenly/equally between the prepared pans and tap these pans on the counter to eliminate any extra bubbles.
- Ok, all done. Now bake your cakes for around 30 minutes, until you see a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (that is the tip to check is baked or not).
- .Once cakes are baked, now cool these cakes for around 20 minutes in their pans.
- After 20 minutes tip out these cakes onto a cooling rack to cool properly/completely at room temperature.
- Cakes can be baked a day ahead, just wrapped them and store these cakes at room temperature before frosting.
Directions for the Fudge Frosting For Devil’s Food Cake:
- First of all, take a metal bowl and place the cream and chocolate in this metal bowl.
- Now place this metal bowl over a pot of barely simmering water.
- After placing nicely, stir the cream and chocolate gently and occasionally until all the chocolate has melted properly and the mixture looks smooth.
- Now remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, sour cream, and salt.
- Let the mixture cool down properly/completely at room temperature, stir occasionally (you can chill the mixture for just a few minutes to start it setting, then let it continue to cool naturally at room temperature).
- Once this mixture cools to a thicker consistency, whisk with the help of your hand to thicken just until spreadable consistency(make sure do not whip this mixture vigorously or with electric beaters).
- Now place the first cake layers on your serving plate and if there is a need, cut/trim the cake to level it.
- After that, now we spread a generous layer of the frosting over the top of the cake nicely.
- Again trim the second cake, if there is a need, and place that one on top of the first cake layer.
- Now, we spread the frosting over the top of the cake and then the sides of the cake also.
- Make, sure to use swirling motion with the help of your spatula to create a perfect and nice design.
- In the end, chill the cake for at least two/2 hours or maybe until ready to serve.
Finally, our creamy, fluffy, and chocolaty devil’s food cake is ready to serve. This classic devil’s food recipe is pretty simple. Just follow all steps to make this amazing classic devil’s food cake recipe.
Now, I know you are very excited to make this cake. But wait, if you try out this amazing classic devil’s food cake recipe. Then don’t forget to put your experience in the comment section.
If you write a beautiful comment, it will really motivate me to bring some more delicious and easy recipes for you. Thanks.